12 September 2007

A UW Double shot

What happened to summer?

I've been so busy this summer I was looking forward to the time after Labor Day, since it has always been when things kind of quieted down, kids went back to school, life returned to normal.

Well, it hasn't. I've been so busy lately I hardly have time to sit down, less time to get something worthwhile on my blog and hardly any time to visit my favorite blogs.

But, I had to post about the U of Washington, or UDub as it's called in Seattle.

First, a medical blip. Engineers at the UDub have come up with a hand-held ultrasound device that can be used to repair punctured lungs. Sounds very cool and also very scary. Scary in the sense that I had numerous people warn me about ultrasounds when I was pregnant, which I had more than my fair share of because of all the complications, but this is a different application and different set of circumstances. If I had a punctured lung, I think my concerns would be for someone to fix it and worry about any problems later.

Star Trek medical device uses ultrasound to seal punctured lungs
In this case, the high-intensity ultrasound beams focus on a particular spot inside the body on the patient's lungs. Focusing the ultrasound beams, in a process similar to focusing sunlight with a magnifying glass, creates a tiny but extremely hot spot about the size and shape of a grain of rice. The rays heat the tissue and blood cells until they form a seal. Meanwhile the tissue between the device and the spot being treated does not get hot, as it would with a laser beam.

Read the entire article.


Secondly, the UDub Huskies are undefeated...so far, in football. When I attended the UDub, they were perennial contenders, along with Florida, for the National Championship. Then a bunch of scandals hit and the program spent some years floundering. Hopefully, they have finally got things together, cleaned up the program and are on their way to the Rose Bowl again.

I used to work with a guy who went to Florida and one from Arizona, so we had bets on the seasons. Fortunately, UDub beat Arizona or I would've had to wear some horrible Arizona jersey to work. Florida and UDub were co-champs, so that made things easy in that regard.


Go dawgs!!


Tentative 2007 Washington Football Schedule

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

08/31/07 at Syracuse Syracuse, N.Y. W, 42-12
09/08/07 vs. Boise State Seattle, Wash. W, 24-10
09/15/07 vs. Ohio State Seattle, Wash. 12:30 p.m. PT
09/22/07 at UCLA * Los Angeles, Calif. 7:15 p.m. PT
09/29/07 vs. USC * Seattle, Wash. 5:00 p.m. PT
10/13/07 at Arizona State * Tempe, Ariz. TBA
10/20/07 vs. Oregon * Seattle, Wash. TBA
10/27/07 vs. Arizona * Seattle, Wash. 12:00 p.m. PT
11/03/07 at Stanford * Stanford, Calif. TBA
11/10/07 at Oregon State * Corvallis, Ore. 7:15 p.m. PT
11/17/07 vs. California * Seattle, Wash. TBA
11/24/07 vs. Washington State * Seattle, Wash. TBA (This game is called the Apple Cup, against our rivals of Wazzu).
12/01/07 at Hawai'i Honolulu, Hawai'i TBA

No comments: